Software or Services Used
Tasker, AutoNotification, IFTTT
Any > 4.0 Android Device
- Welcome home “Hello Rod”
- Tell you the weather
- Tell you what’s happening around you
- Notify you of any earthquakes
- There is motion in another room
This can get annoying for the people around you if this feature isn’t used sparingly or used when ONLY you are around.
Method for the earthquake example
1. Setup Tasker
- Download AutoNotification
- Create a new AutoNotification Plugin State within Tasker
- Select your filter command (ie. earthquake)
- Enter the task with the ‘Say’ command
- Enter a new task (named earthquake)
- Enter text New Earthquake %ancomm
2. Setup IFTTT to send an Android Notification
- You will need IFTTT installed
- Make a new RSS trigger with : http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/feed/v1.0/summary/significant_day.atom
- New android Notification
You can get your tablet to respond to anything you would like. This could also be used as craigslist notifications to your devices.
IFTTT is an incredible tool. You can do almost anything from creating fancy lighting recipes that once you email yourself it can turn on your HUE lights. We talk about the most useful recipes that you won’t find on other automation websites.
All of these you can do yourself:
Apple makes amazingly intuitive products. It also restricts the capability of them to limit the ‘options’ users have to make it easy for just about everyone to pick it up and use it. When using your iPhone with Home Automation you’re limited in what you can do without opening that up.
Step 1: Jailbreak and then keep reading
Don’t want to? You’re going to need to link Siri to an Android device.
Home Automation on an iPhone without a jailbreak (learn how) is pretty painful as there is far more interesting things you can do with your device that you need to unleash.
Top 10 Automation Tweaks
Just having activator is a good start but you also need to get some tweaks to make your system more integrated. There are a few MUST haves and we break them down for you.
Best Products for iOS
iOS has a lot of accessories and we breakdown the best accessories for automation that will improve your iPads functionality and make your iPhone double as a wallet/key etc.