AutoIt is an amazing tool for home automation or any Windows automation for that matter. Below we discuss some sample scripts to integrate your PC with most API’s and services with some sample scripts to get you started. Remember that if you are looking to get started with AutoIt and your own automation hub please look at their API. We have listed all the API links on the hub page.
Recording Your Tasks
This is the most powerful tool with regards to AutoIt. You can simply click the toolbar ‘Tools’ option and click AU3Recorder and begin doing the task that you would like to run.
Task Scheduler to Run Commands
Task Scheduler Tutorial
AutoIt Favourite Links
UDF’s are a way to interact with programs using AutoIt’s simple scripting language. We will list a few of our favourites to help get you started.
- iTunes UDF: This UDF allows you to add automation techniques to your AutoIt scripts within iTunes. I use this one to play playlists from my Pebble watch, change the volume, pause and play music.
- Gmail Remote Monitor: I love this one as you can send an email and then launch commands locally on a PC. As long as the syntax is a certain way it can launch commands. Great for IFTTT integration.
- Spotify:Spotify is an awesome music service and software platform to control your music.
Let Us Know Your Favourite Ways To Use AutoIt
IFTTT is an incredible tool. You can do almost anything from creating fancy lighting recipes that once you email yourself it can turn on your HUE lights. We talk about the most useful recipes that you won’t find on other automation websites.
All of these you can do yourself:
We cover some of the least common DIY home automation recipes found on the net. We give you the power to do things that plain old automation hubs can’t do at this moment. These recipes require software either on your Android, Windows PC, iPhone, iPad or MacBook. All these recipes usually help tie in lots of capabilities into your already available automation system. If we display a recipe that isn’t exactly like your system we suggest that you use the same idea and apply it to your own. Most automation systems have an API that differ slightly and can easily be adapted.
Latest DIY Recipes
- Recipe: Turn LED Strip Red Before an Appointment (10/8/2014) - Software Used Zapier, AutoRemote, Tasker, Smart Remote(app) Hardware Required IR android device, LED Strips Steps Begin with creating a new Zapier task that has: Trigger: Google Calendar and Event Start Action: AutoRemote and New Message Under #4 Only trigger an event start from Google Calendar when:Time before: 45 minutes #5 Enter the text that you will create a new filter
- Talking Tablet Recipe (10/12/2014) - Software or Services Used Tasker, AutoNotification, IFTTT Hardware Any > 4.0 Android Device Possible Uses Welcome home “Hello Rod” Tell you the weather Tell you what’s happening around you Notify you of any earthquakes There is motion in another room Warning This can get annoying for the people around you if this feature isn’t used
- Connect iOS and Android Together for Home Automation (10/21/2014) - What is this? Android is a lot easier when doing home automation tasks and this appears to be the best way to link your devices together using a little trick. Software AutoRemote, Now Now, Google Search, Tasker, Activator, GooGiri Hardware iOS 7 with Jailbreak and an Android with AutoRemote and Tasker installed. Steps Setup GooGiri,
Apple makes amazingly intuitive products. It also restricts the capability of them to limit the ‘options’ users have to make it easy for just about everyone to pick it up and use it. When using your iPhone with Home Automation you’re limited in what you can do without opening that up.
Step 1: Jailbreak and then keep reading
Don’t want to? You’re going to need to link Siri to an Android device.
Home Automation on an iPhone without a jailbreak (learn how) is pretty painful as there is far more interesting things you can do with your device that you need to unleash.
Top 10 Automation Tweaks
Just having activator is a good start but you also need to get some tweaks to make your system more integrated. There are a few MUST haves and we break them down for you.
Best Products for iOS
iOS has a lot of accessories and we breakdown the best accessories for automation that will improve your iPads functionality and make your iPhone double as a wallet/key etc.