What is this?
Android is a lot easier when doing home automation tasks and this appears to be the best way to link your devices together using a little trick.
AutoRemote, Now Now, Google Search, Tasker, Activator, GooGiri
iOS 7 with Jailbreak and an Android with AutoRemote and Tasker installed.
- Setup GooGiri, NowNow and Activator and Install Google Search on your iOS device. Below is a brief video on how Googiri works.
- Add a command to send all said ‘text’ to your server such as AutoRemote on a Tasker Android Device.
You can see above that I have setup my webserver address to send the text to my server. This server is the URL to the custom link of my AutoRemote URL. This could also go to an EventGhost PC url if you want to do so.
- On your Tasker device you’ll need to setup possible said commands but you should receive these commands from your GooGiri setup
- Begin starting to create interesting recipes to control every aspect of your home using your iOS device.
What I use it for
- I search my XBMC tv shows and movies to play any file using my iOS device
- I launch an AutoIt script to search for iTunes or Grooveshark music
- I can turn my TV on and do all my regular home automation tasks using my voice and holding the home button.
Why should you use this?
This is far more powerful and useful than HomeKit as it has very limited integration and you can’t interact with the web. You could also create commands to search your computer to send files, browse websites and spit back useful data. You could also integrate this with Acute to have a complete hands free experience. Let me know how you use it in our forums.
Software or Services Used
Tasker, AutoNotification, IFTTT
Any > 4.0 Android Device
- Welcome home “Hello Rod”
- Tell you the weather
- Tell you what’s happening around you
- Notify you of any earthquakes
- There is motion in another room
This can get annoying for the people around you if this feature isn’t used sparingly or used when ONLY you are around.
Method for the earthquake example
1. Setup Tasker
- Download AutoNotification
- Create a new AutoNotification Plugin State within Tasker
- Select your filter command (ie. earthquake)
- Enter the task with the ‘Say’ command
- Enter a new task (named earthquake)
- Enter text New Earthquake %ancomm
2. Setup IFTTT to send an Android Notification
- You will need IFTTT installed
- Make a new RSS trigger with : http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/feed/v1.0/summary/significant_day.atom
- New android Notification
You can get your tablet to respond to anything you would like. This could also be used as craigslist notifications to your devices.
Automating your home and phone can be a tedious task. Depending on how you do it, it can be a waste of time or if you backup you can have your ‘profiles’ and info forever.
There are two major brands which we will discuss:
The single most common question I get asked is:
Question: Which is the better platform for home automation?
Answer: Before iOS 8 and without jailbreaking the iOS 7 device it’s hands down the Android ecosystem. There is EVERYTHING you could want with android 4.2 and above. The only thing that Android is missing is a good iBeacon native code to interact with.
Now that iOS 8 has arrived with ‘intent’ style accessibility between applications, HomeKit, HealthKit, iBeacons etc. there shouldn’t be that big of a difference if all the same tweaks are developed from iOS 7 to iOS 8 for jailbreaking. A jailbroken device in the iOS ecosystem is a must if you want to take advantage of the full potential to what is possible. Click on your ecosystem below to find out how to optimize your system.
Join the discussion on which platform is better below