We are going to discus what makes an awesome smart lock and discuss the best possible options that are available right now for the price. As with all of our comparisons we are cost conscious and our summaries are based on value. There might always be a more premium feature packed product but we focus on products that integrate well into the most automation systems along with having the best value.
What makes a great smart lock?
The best price with the following:
Must Have Features:
- WiFi OR Z-Wave OR Zigbee
- Ability to email a virtual key
- Amazing battery life
Nice to have
There are also nice to have features that include:
- BLE (for location based unlocks/locks)
- Sensor for motion based alerts with an alarm
- Z-Wave Technology
- Sensor at the Door
- Audible Alarm
- Backup Key
- Schlage Connect is BHMA/ANSI Grade 1 certified
- Keypad and Illuminated Fingerprint Resistant Sensor
- Great name and a big company
- Compatible with most automation hubs
Kwikset 925 Kevo
- Apple ecosystem at the moment but plans to enable Android and Blackberry
- eKeys are NOT free. Two are included with purchase.
- No home automation system integration. This may change with time.
- Seems like a stand alone product at the moment. BLE is very limiting this way.
- Good company responses and are active in the Amazon review section.
- Flawed technology: they need WiFi or at least the ability to connect to the Wink hub by default.
These are the top three smart locks at the moment. This is also a very hot new area and more companies are trying to get into this as fast as they can. We will do our best to post as many options as you can so you can see what is available.
Based on the three above I would choose the Schlage or the Lockitron option depending on your needs. You may find other z-wave locks on craigslist that you could use for way less money. Since BLE location service is very new you may find it to be a little gimmicky at the moment.